Challenges, Gina K Designs, Paper piecing

Inlaid die cut Christmas trees part 2

Another set of trees using Gina K Designs’ Christmas Tree cover plate die. I this these are my favourite versions of the cards, I just love the more subtle colours of the papers together. I just flicked through my paper samples and found greens that I thought could work well together. Not a single paper pack in this case was a Christmas paper, so it just shows what you can find when you look outside the box a wee bit.

I’ve decided to enter these into a few challenges this week – I’ve been slack at doing challenges lately, so I guess I’m making up for lost time. I keep updating my Instagram feed, but forgetting to post here oops:

Supplies used:

  • Christmas Tree cover plate die by Gina K Designs
  • Sentiment from Sparkle and Shine stamp set by Gina K Designs
  • Patterned papers from Stampin’ Up!
    – Ever Eden (retired)
    – Gilded Autumn (retired)
    – Berry Delightful (retired)
  • Gold pearls by Unity? (not 100% as the packaging has disappeared)
  • Gold glitter cardstock by Craft Perfect/Tonic Studios

Z is for Zombies

I haven’t joined in with any of the challenges yet on The Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers blog, but I came across this sentiment yesterday while looking for something else, and I decided I couldn’t go past joining in the Z is for Zombies challenge. It really makes me laugh, and would make an awesome non-mushy Valentine’s Day card! 😛

Supplies used:

  • Inks: Red Velvet, Dusty Rose, Sweet Mango, Sweet Corn by Gina K Designs
  • Sentiment: Sassy Pants Birthday Greetings by My Favorite Things
  • Splatters: Gorgeous Grunge by Stampin’ Up! (retired), and Red Hot embossing powder by Gina K Designs
  • Mummy (zombie) die: Trick or Treat 2 by Sizzix
CardMaynia, Challenges, Stampin' Up!, Tic Tac Toe

White on white – Tic Tac Toe TTTC160

Oh boy I’m way out of my comfort zone with this one – I actually combined three challenges in one this time, covering a sketch challenge set by a new team, along with completing this week’s Tic Tac Toe Challenge, and today’s card for my personal CardMaynia challenge.

I decided to choose column 1, which is: White on white, Silver, and Die cut.

This one uses all Stampin’ Up! products, which was tough for me to do:

  • Dies: Pierced Blooms, Scalloped Contours, Wreath Builder
  • Embossing folders: Greenery, Pinewood Planks
  • Sentiment: Wetlands stamp set
  • Embellishments: Basic rhinestones
CardMaynia, Challenges, Tic Tac Toe

CardMaynia day 2 & Tic Tac Toe 159

I managed to combine two challenges into one card, as well as getting a Mother’s Day card ready to send to NZ. Mum doesn’t know me anymore and can’t converse, but I still try to send her some bright cheery cards regularly to brighten her room.

For Tic Toe Challenge 159 I chose bright colours, ribbon of twine, and Mother’s Day.

Supplies used:

  • Stamps:
    Flowers & leaves: Pretty Perennials by Stampin’ Up! (retired)
    Sentiment: Dressed to Impress by Stampin’ Up! (retired)
  • Dies & Embossing:
    Perennial Petals by Stampin’ Up!
    Scalloped Contours by Stampin’ Up!
  • Inks:
    Inks by Stampin’ Up!: Tahitian Tide, Daffodil Delight, Magenta Madness, Granny Smith Green
  • Embellishments:
    Luminous Lemon baubles by Trinity Stamps
    Stained Glass embossing folder by Kaisercraft
    Magenta Madness ribbon by Stampin’ Up!

One-year Anniversary and CardMaynia day 1

Today marks my one-year anniversary of cardmaking – I’d signed up for some Stampin’ Up! monthly card kits from a local demonstrator 18 months ago but didn’t get a chance to start making any as I had a call my Mum had had a stroke in NZ and was unlikely to survive. My life was turned upside down and I managed to eventually get quarantine accommodation so I could fly to NZ to be by her bedside and spent a few months emptying the family home (my Dad passed away not long before Covid hit). There were also lots of work upheavals as well, so it was the perfect storm emotionally for me and my resilience took a real beating. BUT I started cardmaking as soon as I got back home to Australia as it helped me take my mind off things back home.

It’s amazing how the simple act of learning a new craft and bending your mind into a different direction really helps to feed the soul and take your mind off your worries. It’s been a long difficult road this year, but I’m incredibly blessed to have found this new hobby of mine (my bank manager might disagree, however).

As a long-time cross stitcher as my main hobby, I’ve been used to participating in ‘StitchMaynia’ or similar events where we work on a different stitching project each day throughout the month of May. I’m not really stitching at the moment because cardmaking is still my ‘happy place’, so I’ve decided to do my own version this year and call it ‘CardMaynia’. My aim, all going well, is to create a card (or at least make a start on a card) using a different stamp or die set every day in May. I hope to be able to finally christen some sets I’ve purchased but haven’t touched (and, ahem, there are LOTS), especially some that I bought while I was in NZ doing ‘comfort shopping’.

So, here is my first card for CardMaynia – using one of the first stamp sets I’d ever ordered (from a secondhand Facebook group) … ‘Wetlands’ by Stampin’ Up! (an older retired set). As it was a Stampin’ Up! demonstrator that got me started on my cardmaking journey, I thought it only fitting that it should be the brand I kicked off with today.

Challenges, Craft Roulette

Craft Roulette episode 110

This week’s Craft Roulette was a fun one – and I ended up with a slightly ‘grungy looking’ card for my submission:

  • Project: Alpha stamp card (coffee words background stamp)
  • Colours: Forest colours
  • Element: Goes well together (coffee and friends)
  • Random: Pre-printed (papers for the coffee mugs)

Supplies used: